Tuesday 26 November 2013

499 AD, Interlude: A letter from Sir Esther to Nimue

To Nimue, my dear, sweet child.

It is a beautiful summer’s day here in Amesbury and I write this from underneath our favourite birch tree, snacking on a sweet, crisp apple and a slice of hard cheese. Despite these gifts from our Goddess, the highlight of my day is the chance to write this letter to you! We have been very busy around the monastery. Sir George and I are planning a trip up to Cameliard to see his highness, King Leodegrance as we may be staying there over the winter. Meanwhile I hear that Sir Brietta, Mountain Lady as you call her, is leading another expedition into the Forest Sauvage. I hope she found the time to meet up with you and the Ladies of the Lake as I know you do so enjoy asking about her wild adventures.

Speaking of stories, I have just spotted an eagle soaring up ahead and am reminded of a story by your Aunt Argle, the wife of my late brother Percival. It is about a young eaglet who was eager to explore the world, hopping from nest to nest. She is taken in by several families of coots along the way, facing exciting experiences each time she travels. You remind me of this young eaglet, travelling from family to family. The Ladies of the Lake tell me you are a gifted, special child and have high hopes for you to make the world a better place. This much was apparent to me from the day I took you home to Idmiston. Things will be challenging at time. Always remember there are many who deeply love you and will gladly share your troubles.

Everyone from Amesbury sends their love. Sister Taffy complains that the windows do not shine quite so brightly as when you used to clean them, while Brother Wren moans that the dinner table has never been set so perfectly as under your careful hand. I send with this letter a rosary made by your close friend Gwyn, who you may remember cried so dearly when you left. She practices her birdsong to this day, though she doesn’t sound quite as sweet as you do. Aunt Argle also sends her famous honeycakes from Idmiston. Don’t eat them all at once.

Thinking of you always,

Esther

No comments:

Post a Comment